Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Entry Two: A Year in Indiana

As I thought about what I was going write today, I got a little nervous that I might get really sad and homesick remembering the things I love about Florida (Tampa), but God has given me a great day thus far, so that thinking about the things I miss just makes me appreciate them that much more! Plus it helps me organize my future trips back home by giving me a list to follow! So if you're in Florida right now, go enjoy one of these things and think of us in Indiana!

Things I (and most likely the rest of my family) Miss about Florida:

  • the water
  • the sunshine in winter
  • the vastness of the sky
  • Bayshore Boulevard
  • Cuban food
  • Friends, the really good kind. You know, the ones that know all the dirt on you (and you on them) and yet you still really like each other and love being around them. Yes, we really miss our friends.
  • Our families
  • a church home
  • worshipping with people we actually know
  • our wonderful babysitter, Theresa
  • Xtreme Juice, Woody's Greek salads, and Wright's (in that order)
  • Teavana (when will they open one up here????!!!!)
  • International Mall (particularly Nordstrom's) and Citrus Mall so close to my house
  • walking to the Village for pizza or Starbucks
  • Wonderful Neighbors!!!!
  • Diversity of population; (things tend to be a bit homogeneous here)
  • My dermatologist, Dr. Leber
  • My dentist, Dr. Cahill
  • my mind (just seeing if you're actually reading the list or just skimming)
  • the following from JCON salon: pedicures by Wanda, eyebrow waxing by Jan, massages by Barbara
  • My chiropractors, but especially Dr. Abernathy!
  • PUBLIX -- Where shopping IS a pleasure! (on a recent trip to Virginia for my 15 year college reunion, I got to talking with a friend of mine's mother, who moved from FL to VA, about how much we miss Publix!) Sure we have Trader Joe's, Wild Oats and The Fresh Market, but Publix is such a well rounded grocery store that compared to Marsh (Indy's grocery store) it makes one question if the other stores are worth having, if one could have Publix! I hope Publix buys Marsh (which has just sold to a FL company that does restructuring and reselling of "in trouble" businesses.)
  • The Yacht Club
  • access to a pool
  • Disney World, but not the drive on I-4
  • the friends that Lilly was starting to make
  • the friendly way people acknowledge you when you are walking, running, at the grocery store, at a restaurant, etc. (people here are so reserved! They don't seem to understand waving or smiling at one another. It drives me nuts!)
  • afternoon thunderstorms -- the predictable kind that don't have tornados!
  • the bar at Bern's for a impromptu meal. (Now granted, I have not done that since long before children, but I still miss the option.)
  • the YMCA (the Y here is NOTHING like the Y in Tampa. If you are a member and you haven't been in a while.... go today! You've got a great resource there!)
  • Lilly's sweet school, Rainbow Garden
  • Spirit FM in the car; (we still listen online)

I'm sure I could go on and on, but my nostalgia is beginning to make me a bit melancholy.

Of all these things listed, our family, friends and church are the things we REALLY miss the most. So while you may not think of us everyday, we think of you and with fondness.

A verse that comes to mind is Joshua 1:5, "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you."

There have been PLENTY of times over the past year I have felt forsaken, but God always reminds me that He is right here in the midst of our Midwestern angst! How grateful I am for Him!!!!!

Tomorrow, the things I like about Indianapolis.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ida Marie said...

Hey, I've enjoyed the read. Keep up the lists. And I too love most of the things you have listed about Tampa!!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home