Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Its Great To Be A Florida Gator


  • For all of our Gator friends back home, this blog is for you. Although the Lord did not bring us to Indiana for basketball, we have had our share of basketball memories. It all started 2 years ago when we sat behind Billy Donovan on a flight home. This year’s tournament started with my annual charitable donation to the office tournament pool, I usually finish in the cellar, but this year I went with my heart and picked the Gators to go all the way, little did I know that I would need all of that money in a couple of weeks.

    I understand why the road to the final four is never easy. Here is our first hand experiences with the Gators first National Chompionship.

    Sunday, March 26th. The Gators defeat Villanova in the Sweet 16. I leap from 12th to 11th place in the office pool, and guess what, if the Gators win it all I have a lock on first place.

    Wednesday, March 29th. After receiving a crash course in e-bay from e, I proceed to stay up all night bidding up, and losing, numerous pairs of tickets to the big dance.

    Thursday, March 30th. Loopy from lack of sleep, I continue to unsuccessfully search and bid on tickets, however, e’s sister hooks me up with some seats for Monday night.

    Friday, March 31st. Open practice session. We play hooky from work and school and see the Gators run through practice drills, the girls are impressed with the Band, especially the Gator Tubas, and jam out to the first of several hundred versions of “If you’ll be my bodyguard”. After a perfect day, the weather turns south, and stays that way for rest of weekend. I successfully bid on a pair of tickets for the weekend on e-bay, which make their way from New Orleans via private jet.

    Saturday, April 1. Gameday, the tickets are better than expected, upper level in the corner. Only drawback is a couple of obnoxious LSU fans, unfortunately for them, their trash talk against the Gators did not make their team any better. We get our tickets for Monday from a’s friend, and although I didn’t pay with Mastercard, they were “priceless”.

    Urban Meyer checking on recruits on his Blackberry.
    UF President Bernie Machen. Did you get my check for $250?
    Sunday, April 2. Indianapolis continues to throw a great final four party, including a concert in the middle of downtown featuring your previous American Idol, Carrie Underwood. We spend the day downtown, enjoying the festivities.

Monday, April 3. The road to the Final Four hits a bump. E gets a flat tire on the way to a meeting. We make it to the Game shortly after tip off to discover we are sitting 2 seats from Urban Meyer (Head Football Coach, I think I stepped on his foot on the way to my seat) and right behind Bernie Machen (UF President). We experience the Gator’s first National Championship, and get some great memories and fuzzy pictures to share with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home